INSIDE Public Accounting unveils the IPA 100 – the annual list of the largest 100 accounting firms in the country. Find out if your firm made the list. IPA subscribers and firms that completed the IPA survey will receive the August issue, which features the IPA 100, IPA 200 and IPA 300 list, the fastest-growing IPA 100 firms, and an analysis of the data. The newsletter will be released this week.
The IPA 100: Key Highlights Of America’s 100 Largest Firms – Excluding the Big 4
- The pace of organic growth (excluding mergers) has slowed to 6.8% for the group, down from 7.5% growth reported in 2016. Acquisitions (both traditional CPA firms as well as other consulting companies) pushed the overall growth rate to 9.4%.
- Organic growth in net income, at 4.8%, has slowed to a pace not seen since 2011. Even factoring in acquisitions, net income growth is up only 5.5% over last year.
- Audit and accounting services in the IPA 100 continue a multi-year decline as a percentage of total revenue – to now represent an average of 37% of total firm revenue as firms grow non-traditional services.
- Non-traditional services offered by the IPA 100 firms, such as consulting, technology and financial services, climbed to an average of 27% of total net revenue.
- Professional staff turnover (CPAs and other client-serving staff) averaged 15.0% for the IPA 100; with one in seven IPA 100 averaging more than 20% professional staff turnover.
“In addition to the challenges already faced by the profession, the coming wave of artificial intelligence, machine learning, blockchain technology and Big Data is advancing faster than anyone would have predicted even three years ago,” says Mike Platt, principal with INSIDE Public Accounting. “Efforts are underway on many fronts to re-engineer how the business of public accounting gets done. The coming changes will be transformational.”
For copies of the 2017 IPA 100 Firms issue, customized reprints and pricing information, please contact Chelsea Summers.
Subscribe to the IPA monthly newsletter today!
Sign up for our complimentary E-News Updates and become an IPA INSIDER.
Order any of the 2017 IPA benchmarking products, including the IPA National Benchmarking Report to gain insider strategies.
About The Platt Group and INSIDE Public Accounting: INSIDE Public Accounting (IPA), founded in 1987, is published by The Platt Group. The Platt Group publishes both the award-winning INSIDE Public Accounting newsletter and the award-winning National Benchmarking Report.